Since some eye diseases do not manifest any symptoms in their early phases, 20/20 Eye Care recommends undergoing a comprehensive eye exam in Mineola. This enables us to thoroughly inspect each eye for signs of visual irregularities.
Here are some of the tests and procedures that we may perform when you come in our clinic:
1. Pupil Dilation Test – We will instill eye drops to widen your pupils. The effect should come within 20-30 minutes. This enables us to view your internal eye structures, such as the retina, macula, and optic nerve.
2. Visual Acuity Test – We will ask you to read out a row of letters from the Snellen chart. This evaluates how well you can see near and distant objects. Through this exam, we can determine if you need to wear eyeglasses or contact lenses in Mineola.
3. Tonometry Test – This measures the pressure within your eye, which can help us detect glaucoma. We will ask you to look at an instrument that emits a small gust of air into your eye. It has a special sensor that can determine how much indentation the air puff caused on your eye surface.
4. Visual Field Assessment – Also known as Perimetry test, this produces a map of your visual field. We will ask you to look straight ahead and signal when light passes your peripheral vision. This helps detect the presence of glaucoma and other eye problems.
5. Pachymetry Test – This is a simple, painless procedure that measures the width of your cornea. Since corneal thickness can influence eye pressure readings, this test can help us better understand your intraocular pressure results.
6. Corneal Topography Scan – Also known as photokeratoscopy or videokeratography, this is a non-invasive imaging technique, which maps out the curvature of your cornea. Since the cornea is responsible for majority of the eye’s refractive power, this is essential in determining the quality of your vision.
7. Retinal Photography – This involves a digital camera system that takes a photograph of your retina. This can provide our detail-oriented eye doctor in Mineola, NY, with a more extensive overview of your retinal health.
Depending on your history and exam results, we may perform other additional tests as needed. These procedures allow us to plan a better treatment regimen that suits your eye care needs.
The earlier you start taking care of your eyes, the better chances you have of maintaining your eyesight. Call us today at (516) 419-9600 (Mineola) or (718) 514-7333 (Middle Village) to schedule an appointment.